Caring for Your Child's Primary Teeth
Dental care for kids is just as important as it is for adults. Teaching good hygiene routines early in life will help to solidify habits to last throughout their lifetime.
Primary teeth are very important for several reasons. They help to provide structure to your child’s face, they allow a child to learn how to eat and speak properly, and they act as a guide for the permanent teeth.
Two of the most common dental problems children face are the development of cavities and gum disease.
The best way to prevent both is to ensure daily brushing and flossing. This can help to keep bacteria from building up and causing infections.
How to Clean Your Child's Teeth
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush, position it at a 45° angle towards the gum line
- Gently move the toothbrush in a circular motion, covering the entire surface of each tooth
- Make sure to fully brush the backside of each tooth as well
- Spend a little more time on the tops of molars as this is where cavities often form
- Remember to brush the tongue
- Using a piece of floss, gently slide it up and down between each tooth to remove food and debris a toothbrush can't reach
- Use a new section of floss for each area
Teaching Children Why Dental Care Matters
Children may need to have the consequences of not taking care of their teeth explained so that they understand why it's important to brush and floss every day.
Daily dental health care can prevent multiple issues, including:
- Cavities or tooth decay
- Gum disease (which can lead to tooth loss)
- The buildup of plaque
- Bad breath (known as halitosis)
Many children may not understand the relationship between the health of their teeth and the health of their whole body.
Without this understanding, they might think it's okay to skip brushing. Therefore it’s important to teach them that any bacteria that builds up or causes an infection can get into their bloodstream, causing health issues which can become quite serious.
Above all else, try to make brushing and flossing fun so your child will want to take care of their teeth!