What is a Bone Graft?
A bone graft is a surgical procedure where your dentist adds bone tissue to your jawbone to strengthen it, restore areas of bone loss, or prepare for another dental procedure.Book An Appointment
This Service is Available at All Toothworks Locations
- Bay Adelaide Dental, Toronto
- Brookfield Place Dental, Toronto
- College Park Dental, Toronto
- King-York Dental, Toronto
- Richmond-Adelaide Dental, Toronto
- Hatamian Dentistry, Toronto
- Square One, Mississauga
- Pine Ridge Dental, Scarborough
- Sterling Dental, Scarborough
- Fairview Park Dental, Kitchener
- The Boardwalk Dental, Waterloo
- Masonville Place, London
- Kilborn Dental, Ottawa
Bone grafting is a procedure that tries to encourage the natural growth of bone tissues. As the natural bone grows, it replaces the graft material resulting in a region of new bone.
Supporting a Dental Implant
If you require a dental implant, but your jawbone is too thin or too soft to support it, a bone graft may be necessary. After the bone graft procedure, there will be a waiting period of a few months until you can have your dental implant surgery.
Repairing Effects of Gum Disease
For patients with severe gum disease that leads to bone loss, a bone graft may also be necessary to regenerate the bone and prevent teeth from loosening or falling out.